The pandemic continues to take a toll on communities across the country. Over the past year and a half, some people may have experienced struggles with physical health, mental health, social isolation and food insecurity.
To support the needs of uninsured individuals and underserved communities, UnitedHealthcare is investing in solutions to help people access the care they need. Here’s a look at some of that effort:
- In July, we awarded $11.4 million in Empowering Health grants to help address the needs of uninsured individuals and underserved communities.
- To date, we have invested more than $40 million in Empowering Health grants since 2018, reaching 6 million people in 28 states and the District of Columbia.
- We have distributed more than 117 million meals to help reduce food insecurity.
- We built 33 playgrounds to help create a safe place for kids to play.
- We transformed more than 200,000 square feet of fitness space to help kids stay active.
- We invested $500 million to help create affordable housing.
Together with our grant partners, we are focusing on creating healthier communities by redefining access and addressing social determinants of health.