- Apple Pay now available to millions of UnitedHealthcare plan participants with Optum Bank health savings accounts
- Other new capabilities help make it easier for people to select, use and understand their health benefits, including during plan enrollment and following medical care
- UnitedHealthcare’s latest digital health innovations are on display at the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2018 in Las Vegas
LAS VEGAS (Jan. 12, 2018) – UnitedHealthcare, a UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH) company, today announced new digital health resources for millions of people enrolled in employer-sponsored health plans. These include tools and enhancements that help make it easier for people to navigate the health care system and more convenient for them to use their benefits.
UnitedHealthcare is showcasing these new digital health capabilities and other health innovations at CES 2018, the annual technology convention in Las Vegas. They include:
- Digital Onboarding: Employers with 101 to 3,000 employees have access to digital onboarding, which can help people select an appropriate health plan based on their personal health and financial preferences. The step-by-step process helps make plan enrollment simple and straightforward, with an online health survey that enables people to identify and select relevant clinical, wellness or financial programs available to them, such as behavioral health, weight loss, pregnancy support, spending accounts and others.
- Apple Pay®: UnitedHealthcare plan participants enrolled in individual and employer-sponsored health plans with an Optum Bank health savings account (HSA) now have the ability to use Apple Pay, providing people a secure and private way to pay for qualified medical services. The new capability offers consumers more convenience at health care providers’ offices and pharmacies, which can help save people time and facilitate payments to care providers.
- Video Explanation of Benefits: Most people enrolled in UnitedHealthcare individual and employer-sponsored plans will be able to view personalized claims videos that help people better understand their benefits and what they owe following a covered medical service. The brief, personalized claims videos provide a step-by-step breakdown that shows exactly how each claim was processed and how much is owed. Plan participants will be able to access customized videos in early 2018 via desktop computers and mobile devices.
“Consumers are asking for and expecting customized, connected digital health resources that help make access to care easier and more convenient,” said Richard Migliori, M.D., chief medical officer of UnitedHealth Group. “UnitedHealthcare invests more than $3 billion annually in data, technology and innovation to help design a health system that is more personalized, intuitive and efficient.”
UnitedHealthcare at CES 2018
UnitedHealthcare will demonstrate new technologies designed to help simplify the consumer health care experience by making information more accessible through personal technology devices including computers, smartphones and wearables.
UnitedHealthcare’s 3,500-square-foot booth is located in the Sands Convention Center, adjacent to the Digital Health Stage (Hall A – 43731). Numerous digital innovations will be demonstrated, including UnitedHealthcare Motion®, the UnitedHealthcare Healthy Pregnancy™ mobile app, Virtual Visits and health and well-being solution Rally®. UnitedHealthcare also announced a collaboration with DexCom, Inc., to launch an individualized glucose management program driven by wearable technology to help people with Type 2 diabetes manage their condition in real-time.
Conference attendees will also participate in a fundraiser for the Boys & Girls Clubs of Southern Nevada. For each mile cycled on the in-booth stationary bikes, UnitedHealthcare will donate $1 to the Club, up to $25,000. The donation will be delivered to the Club, along with 150 bike helmets, Monday, Jan. 15.
At CES 2018, executives from UnitedHealthcare, Optum and Rally Health will speak, including:
- Paul Sterling, vice president of emerging products at UnitedHealthcare, participated in a panel hosted by CNET.com about empowering patients with connected technology Tuesday, Jan. 9, at 3 p.m. at the Las Vegas Convention Center (North Hall).
- Dr. Migliori participated in a panel – “The Vicious Spiral: How Will the Opioid Crisis End?” – Wednesday, Jan. 10, at 10:45 a.m. at the Venetian, Level 4, Lando 4304.
- Pat Keran, vice president of innovation and research & development at Optum (a UnitedHealth Group company), participated in a panel – “Predictive Analytics: The New Clairvoyant Caregiver” – Wednesday, Jan. 10, at 2:15 p.m. at the Venetian, Level 4, Lando 4304.
- Mike Jacobs, senior distinguished engineer at Optum, will participate in a fireside chat – “Healthcare Has Problems: Blockchain Has Answers” – Thursday, Jan. 11, at 10 a.m. at the Venetian, Level 4, Lando 4304.
- Rebecca Madsen, UnitedHealthcare chief consumer officer, will participate in a fireside chat – “UnitedHealthcare Rallies Data into Action” – Thursday, Jan. 11, at 10:35 a.m. at the Venetian, Level 4, Lando 4304. She will be joined by Shawn Mobley, Rally Health Inc. chief revenue officer.
- Kirsti Lay, a professional cyclist for Rally Cycling and former Olympian, and Sara Bergen, a Rally Cycling team rider and two-time World Championship participant, will participate in Q&A sessions Thursday, Jan. 11, and Friday, Jan. 12, at 1 p.m. The cyclists will discuss the connection between technology and athletic training and performance.
Visit www.uhc.com/ces or follow @UHC on Twitter, and through the #DigitalHealthCES hashtag.
UnitedHealthcare is dedicated to helping people nationwide live healthier lives by simplifying the health care experience, meeting consumer health and wellness needs, and sustaining trusted relationships with care providers. The company offers the full spectrum of health benefit programs for individuals, employers, military service members, retirees and their families, and Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries, and contracts directly with more than 1 million physicians and care professionals, and 6,000 hospitals and other care facilities nationwide. UnitedHealthcare is one of the businesses of UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH), a diversified Fortune 50 health and well-being company. For more information, visit UnitedHealthcare at www.uhc.com or follow @UHC on Twitter.