Seeking the next elixir to boost your energy and help keep you flying high through the hustle and bustle of the holidays? You won’t find the answer in the bottom of the punchbowl, nor bursting from the popped cork of bubbly. Rather, consider turning to the green stuff – and not the kind that will get you in trouble.
Grab some hemp, an avocado and wheatgrass and embrace going green with a smoothie that packs a superpowered, nutritional punch. Just in case you’re skeptical, we’ve got you covered on the best ingredients to use in delicious recipes:
- Hemp: Versatile and full of vitamins, the popularity of hemp oil and seeds is picking up steam. One scientific study revealed hemp oil contains α-linolenic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid, which some studies suggest might help prevent coronary heart disease.
- Kale: One cup of this all-star vegetable has just 33 calories and is an excellent source of vitamins A, C and K. It’s also a good source of calcium, copper, potassium, iron, manganese and phosphorus. Check out this link.
- Wheatgrass: The grass is obviously greener when you’re talking about this nutrient-dense variety of young grass from the wheat family. Rich in chlorophyll, flavonoids and vitamins C and E, it helps boost the immune system and blast those nasty free radicals.
- Spinach: There’s good reason this robust veggie helped sailors remain strong, given its hefty number of vitamins and minerals, ranging from calcium to zinc.
- Avocado: There’s a lot to love when it comes to this fruit including potassium and magnesium -- plus its impressive line-up of essential vitamins including A, B-6, C, E and K. Spin them into smoothies and desserts or just eat them plain.
Check the crisper – it’s time to put that extra spinach, hemp and banana to good use. Toss them in the blender and try this smoothie to de-stress and curb those holiday blues. And for more ideas, UnitedHealthcare features a variety of recipes here.
Avocado Lover’s Delight
1 ripe avocado, seeded and peeled
½ cup of spinach
1 frozen, very ripe banana, peeled and cubed
6-oz. Greek-style plain non-fat yogurt
2 Tbsp. maple syrup or honey
4 ice cubes, or as needed
Prep: Place the liquid in the blender, add your greens, fruits and vegetables; start slowly then increase speed. Add yogurt and additional ice cubes to reach desired consistency.