When it comes to choosing your health care plan during open enrollment, the choice is about more than just deductibles and premiums. Your mental health may not be top of mind when looking at coverage, so behavioral health resources may be overlooked.
Behavioral health care programs can range from caring for your mental health behaviors to treatment for substance abuse, with a goal of helping to improve your overall well-being.
Understanding your plan may help you find the resources you need and put you on the path toward recovery. Consider these tips to help you check your mental health coverage during open enrollment.
- Check your current description of plan benefits, as it should include information on what’s covered for behavioral health services. Call the number on your insurance card, if you still aren’t sure.
- Look for a provider network database. This will help you find in-network health professionals to avoid paying additional out-of-pocket costs. If you’re a UnitedHealthcare member, you can check out the network provider search tool to find a mental health professional that’s right for you.
- Try virtual services if you’d rather receive care from the comfort of your home. Look at your plan benefits to see which solutions you may have access to.
- Ask your mental health provider if they accept your insurance when scheduling an appointment.
- Use your HSA to pay for services if you are seeking eligible mental health care. Some therapy, like marriage or family counseling, may not apply.
If you’re insured under UnitedHealthcare, you may have access to virtual behavioral health solutions, like:
Coverage for these services, and others like them, depends on your health plan benefits. These behavioral health programs and resources are available to help. If you need help right away, call 9-1-1 or use the emergency numbers below:
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
Substance use helpline: 1-855-780-5955
24/7 emotional support line: 1-866-342-6892
The Crisis Text Line: Text “Home” to 741741
To learn about different health insurance options, please visit uhc.com.